Sunday, March 03, 2013

Things I'm Obsessed With

A day late, but I was attending the funeral yesterday of a family I knew a few years ago who lost their eldest son. It was a strange experience to set foot in a Catholic church again (I haven't been in one for years since I changed faiths) and I won't lie that I was nervous, if not scared to be back. But worse was watching ( and feeling ) the sadness and loss that day. It affected me even if I was not close with the son. Let's just say I spent the rest of yesterday in cleansing silence. Rest in Peace, Gregory. You can rest easy now, man. 
But enough of that.
I promise I would double up on my obsessions post this week, so let's talk about:

Tea and Tea Parties

Maybe it's my love and collection of anything Alice. Maybe it's the elegance of the gatherings long past. Or the excuse to be pretty. Maybe I never grew up from pretend. But I loveLOVELOVE anything tea party related (this does not include anything political.) Now, I should say this. Before I got pregnant, I HATED tea. I hated the taste and most smells of it. And living in the South, I commit the biggest sin of all by hating cold sweet tea. I just thought it was icky. In all my tea parties growing up and with friends, I had either just plain milk or hot chocolate. But when I was pregnant with Abbie, I suddenly wanted all the tea. Except sweet tea, I still hate it. And that habit has stuck around. I drink a lot of hot tea regularly and even though I'm in my mid-twenties, I still love going to and throwing tea parties. (Remember this post?) It's been beneficial to my health and who doesn't love tea time outings with those your close to? Which leads into part two of the obsession. Along with my Alice collections, I collect teacups, tea pots, tea sets, the works. I have a hodgepodge of the items. From Japanese to futuristic. Victorian to rustic. Some have been used, others haven't yet. I say yet because I have every intention of using my sets at least once. Thrifting is something Daniel and I do with Owlfish on weekends or his days off if we have the chance. And I never pass up the chance to purchase new cups and saucers if the opportunity rises. Sadly, most of my collections are in boxes because I have nowhere to put them. But that'll change one day. Hopefully!

Old phone picture of one of my Japanese tea sets, given to me by my late Memaw.

(picture above from We <3 It)

No comments:

Post a Comment