Saturday, August 10, 2013

Atlanta Today


It's been a good week and a half since I had last ventured out to Atlanta for school. I'm currently on a three week "summer" break between summer and fall semester, and so far, it's been kind of blah. Not a lot has gotten done cleaning wise (although I have gotten started!), and it hasn't felt like much of a break to me. More like I'm holding my breath until next semester. With that in mind, my girl Shelbie and I decided it was high time to meet up again. So Daniel, Owlfish, and I did just that. We braved the Georgia heat, took the MARTA back down to Atlanta today, and met up with Shelbie for lunch in Woodruff Park and a tour of her new loft apartment. (Have I mentioned how much I love lofts? That I lived in one briefly in Carrollton? Or that I ADORE them? No? Well, now you know.) Needless to say, I'm super jealous of Shelbie's new digs. Hopefully one of those fancy lofts will be in my cards in the someday future. But in the end, it was really good to see my friend outside of class. Hopefully this will become habit! Shelbie, ya dig?

I've mentioned Shelbie in a few previous entries, as she was my classmate and comrade in both Photo and Art History this past semester. But we actually became very good friends over the course of seven weeks. And it surprised me because of how vastly different we are in many ways. I never expected to befriend someone as accepting as her within the first few days of a new semester in a new place. Those "differences" I saw at first have been something that has made our friendship something special. We just seemed to click. From hours and HOURS spent in the darkroom developing pictures and random karaoke with our class to making the most of the long hours in our dull-as-hell Art History, from twizzlers to dark chocolate, she has become such an important part of my life. And she clicks with my kid! How cool is that? Weird because it's only been eight weeks since we met? So what? I am blessed to be friends with such a life. And as corny as it sounds, I hope that doesn't change. Shelbie, girl, you are amazing and we still need a Pitch Perfect night!


Speaking of the munchkin, she has discovered the joys of FaceTime on my iPhone. We haven't been able to see Daniel too much the past week because of his work, so yesterday, we turned on the FaceTime to call him. Even over the phone, watching how Abbie and Daniel interact is priceless and heart melting. They played peek-a-boo for nearly five minutes and she just couldn't stop chatting to him. Mama was most definitely chopped liver for a good bit, but I don't care. These two make my world go 'round in the best way.

Hope you all have had a good week! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment