Monday, October 07, 2013

Two


It's finally here again. October 7. Today, my Owlfish turned two years old. I know every mother says this, but it really is true, the year flew by so fast. It literally felt like it was only last year that she was toddling around at the park for her party with a little pink sweater on and a silver gift bow on her head. Hell, I was still flashing back to the very moment my mom brought her around the curtain for me to see her for the first time. She was swaddled in the striped hospital blanket with a hospital beanie on, the Beatles were singing about ice was melting, and I touched my hand to her for the first time. A moment a kind nurse was able to capture for me on film. A picture I never thought I would share to everyone.


But it's really been two years. And my baby is not so much a baby anymore. She is non-stop, always chatting, and very inquisitive. Nothing stands in her way or slips her gaze. She's just so bright and amazing.  She loves to explore and play with just about anything she can reach. I say it so much on this blog, but so much has happened over the last year. She's battled a couple sick days, has learned several new words and phrases, outgrown clothing faster than I can buy them, developed close relationships with family, and is nowhere near done! It's so scary, yet thrilling at how fast everything is flying by. But as bittersweet as it is for this mama, I'm enjoying every minute of it. And so is Daniel, who has been by mine and her side through it all.


Today, at 1:59 in the afternoon, in the quad courtyard at Georgia State, we sat down and as is our tradition started last year, Abbie and I took a picture together while listening to the song "Here Comes the Sun" by the Beatles. The same song that was playing when she came into this world. Daniel was there and so was Shelbie. Even thought Abbie rolled her eyes and didn't want to sit still, it made my heart stop a bit. She's growing so quick. Did I cry today? Yep, no shame. I probably always will shed tears on thsi day, but at least they are tears of happiness.

Owlfish, I know there is so much that isn't quite right yet, but what we have, what YOU have brought to me and everyone you meet, is worth more than anything. This life may not be perfect, but it's ours and I wouldn't have chosen anyone better to share it with. Just know that you are beautiful, amazing, and the biggest joy in my world. Happy Birthday, munchkin. Aren't you glad I let you have fruit snacks for breakfast today?

Photo courtesy of Aunt Voni from that special day.

No comments:

Post a Comment