Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Year of the Jars

Hello 2014~

So...still stuck in bed. Still sick. It's not fun. And cabin fever is for the goddamn birds. But it got me to thinking, so hold on for a long, hipster picture, sap ridden post. I'm being snarky on purpose, I've been ill all day. :)

I think I'm going to attempt a new thing this year as a way of keeping my positivity up and as a fun game to do with Abbie. I have so many dreams and aspirations that I want to make possible in my life, her life, just in general. But even with journaling them all down, I'm one of those people that needs a constant stimulation in order to keep those goals in sight. I get lazy a lot. So instead of just journaling and talking, I'm going to try a little action...see how long I can do it.

I'm going to make 2014 the year of the jars.


I keep seeing all these hipster-y tumblr-ish pictures of mason jars with dream notes, money goals, and mementos in them all over the inter verse (see above...). At first I kind thought they were hokey at best and for people who could pretend they didn't have a care in the world. But the more I saw them, the more those silly mason jars started to grow on me. 

I remember one therapy session when I was living in Carrollton that my therapist had me try an experiment to boost my self esteem and positivity. For two weeks, I had to write myself at least one note each day with a positive thing that happened. I then had to put the note(s) in a colored envelope and hang it on a clothesline I strung in my room, that way I could see them each day. After the two weeks were up, I was to bring the notes to my session and read them out loud. At the time, I thought it was so stupid and ridiculous. I was extremely reluctant to try it simply because I thought it wouldn't work. Later that day, I was having tea with a close friend and I told her about this experiment. To my surprise, that she thought it was an awesome idea and offered to do it with me so I wouldn't feel so silly. I was touched and a little floored, but we agreed to do the project together. 



So for fourteen days, I wrote notes to myself, she wrote notes to herself, and we strung them on a clothesline in my room. By the last day, my room was starting to look like a flock of tropical birds were camping out on my ceiling, because we were having so much fun with it that we wrote several notes each day. When I went to my session, my therapist allowed her to come to so we could show what we had accomplished. It was a real eye opening experience for me, especially re-reading all the good that had happened in just fourteen days. Some times it was small things, like my hair looked great or I didn't get blisters from walking everywhere. But still, good things. It turned out I had a lot of positivity in my life as it was and I just wasn't looking.

And that's what I think the year of the jars might do for me again. It'll be something fun for me to see each day and do each day as a small reminder that there is still good things around me. And it'll give me a chance to start showing Abbie sorting colors, haha! 



My intention is to have three jars, the trinity is a good number to do for this year. One for dreams/mementos throughout the year. One to start saving money for something fun. One for stars. I learned how to make origami stars back in middle school and I think it would be fun to do with Abbie, even if she doesn't quite get it. Stars to represent what I should reach for, for each goal accomplished, for each good thing (it's sappy, so shoot me!).

And I think each week if I can, I will shoot a picture of the jars to post here. Just as a reminder and proof :) Just need to start somewhere, right?

Hope you guys had a great first day of the year and weren't stuck being miserable in bed like I was...fucking colds...

All pictures found via weheartit(dot)com

6 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Love this. I want to do this, too! Thank you for sharing. Hope you feel better soon. Thank you for being so inspiring. xooxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! Both the original idea with the envelopes and the jars. I may try this out. A little positive thinking goes a long way. :)

    I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea, too! I think I may have to stop by the store and pick up a jar today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got mine today! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete